karbraesforgottenrealms
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chapter 5: Through the Moon Pass Gorge

+2
Lezer
Karbrae
6 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Chapter 5: Through the Moon Pass Gorge - Page 6 Empty Re: Chapter 5: Through the Moon Pass Gorge

Post by Karbrae Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:02 pm

By the Sehanine Statue
Characters:
Nerea, Amra, Imarra, Avisis, Myrdin.

Chapter 5: Through the Moon Pass Gorge - Page 6 Myrddi10

Myrdin Doedance: "Lying was a poor word choice, I was merely trying to make an admittance. Omitted would have been more fitting. And I omit plenty of stuff. That's part of my job as a Moonstar. Nothing that should be crucial to our strategy regarding saving the captives and retrieving the portal key from the Urgruem Caverns however..."
Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

https://karbraesrealms.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Chapter 5: Through the Moon Pass Gorge - Page 6 Empty Re: Chapter 5: Through the Moon Pass Gorge

Post by Karbrae Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:38 pm

Urgruem Caverns Ravine
Characters:
Rhenwald and Kardalis

Kardalis's Hide, Move Silently and Spot results: 25 ✓ 18 ✓ 18 ✓.
Kardalis's Hide, Move Silently and Spot results: 13 ✓ 33 ✓ 9 ¤.

Rhenwald and Kardalis sneak their way through the groves and concealed ravine to scout the wider part of the ravine where Rhenwald remembers there being a cavern entrance (Knowledge (Geography): 22 ✓).

As they reach the point between the narrow and wider part of the ravine, Rhenwald first spots an orc sentry with bow and arrows on the lookout cliff above the ravine, then makes sure that sentry isn't looking, before quickly and quietly making his way along the southern cliff wall of the ravine to a point where he can peer around the corner and spot two orc sentries with falchions and javelins by the ground level cavern entrance. He crouches in the bushes right before the orc sentry on the lookout peers down into the ravine, and as soon as that one looks away again, he stealthily hurries back to Kardalis in the narrow part of the ravine.
Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:52 pm

By the Sehanine Statue
Characters:
All

Just as the moon elf has finished speaking, Rhenwald and Kardalis return from their successful scouting mission to relay their findings...

Each character gains 250 XP for successfully surveying and scouting the area..,

Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mageconsul Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:59 pm

Nerea frowns, shifting her stance as she spots Rhenwald and Kardalis's approach. Turning back to Myrdin, she says, "Be that as it may, I think it would behoove you not to omit any more important details. I understand and respect that your work requires a great deal of secrecy; however, if we are to risk our lives, we must be able to trust that you will tell us the truth about what you know."
mageconsul
mageconsul

Back to top Go down

Post by Lezer Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:01 pm

"Station's empty," Cyrus talks right away after greeting the companions a friendly sign. "Probably looted as well. Two orc skirmishers at the entrance behind the ravine, one marksman with a bow on the cliff overlooking it. Kardalis spotted two more in the grove near the hidden entrance." He nods to the half-drow in acknowledgement. "Got anything? What's that I hear about matter of trust and omitting something?"
Lezer
Lezer

Back to top Go down

Post by wigglewyrms Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:12 pm

Ikkri hops up to Avis's shoulder as she crosses her arms. "Our new friend was just showing us a map of the area—including the caverns—that he just so happened to forget before we began our scouting efforts. We were just gently reminding him how crucial it is that we know everything there is to know."
wigglewyrms
wigglewyrms

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:14 pm

Myrdin Doedance: "Your ranger friend was in such a rush. I hardly had the time to do so..." the moon elf says in his own defense and crosses his arms...

Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lezer Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:18 pm

"We're all excited," the ranger replies, seemingly unfazed by the development. He walks up to the rest and looks over their shoulders at the map. "Quite neat. Those chaps from Everlund are actually good for something. Do you have any idea where they might be holding the captives?"
Lezer
Lezer

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:22 pm

Myrdin eyes the ranger with a mixture of surprise and suspicion before answering matter-of-factly:

Myrdin Doedance: "I would assume they hold them in the upper caverns as they are valuable possessions of the Cave Father. The lower caverns is mostly just where the grunts sleep from what I've gathered... Besides the large cavern with the entrance to the Underdark, statue of Luthic and ascent to the upper cavern that is... Oh, and the aballin cavern... Let's not go in there by the way..."

Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Drome Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:27 pm

"Please don't start with it again. Putting others down doesn't seem very helpeful in this situation." Imarra interjected to Cyrus before turning to the Myrdin and adding to the previous question "Considering the amount of people they captured, do you think they would all be in one place?".
Drome
Drome

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:33 pm

Myrdin Doedance: "Well, there were only six of us left when we surrendered... Add the six laborers and the mulemaster and you have a dozen, with me managing to escape that is. I think it's safe to say that the Urgruems would be able to hold that amount in one place, yes. "

Last edited by Karbrae on Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad Monkey Hu Sen Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:40 pm

Kardalis addresses the moon elf for the first time since they've met and carefully studies the eyes of the elf, watching for his initial reaction.
"We can't guess wrong here, if we do, I can't imagine the Urgraem are too merciful"
"By the by, moon elf, I am Kardalis."
Mad Monkey Hu Sen
Mad Monkey Hu Sen

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:05 am

Myrdin Doedance: "Pleased to meet you Kardalis," the moon elf nods respectfully to the half-drow. "I am quite sure they would keep the captives in the upper caverns, but unfortunately I cannot say with complete certainty. Wait! I just had an idea. If one of you can cast an Invisibility spell, we could cast that on the aasi... sorry, on Miss Strangelight's familiar and have it fly through the lookout cliff's cavern entrance to confirm whether the captives are held there or not... That is the only real way I can think of to gain perfect clarity on the matter, unless of course you have some sort of scrying spell or device that would allow us to peer into the upper caverns from afar..."
Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:22 am

Chapter 5: Through the Moon Pass Gorge - Page 6 Sylkar10

Amra Braegen: "I do. Have an Invisibility spell prepared that is..." Amra replies and looks smilingly at Avisis. "What do you say Avisis? Shall we send your fine feathered little fellow on another scouting mission? He did so well on the last one..."

Last edited by Karbrae on Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:53 am; edited 2 times in total
Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Drome Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:29 am

Humming a bit and taking out the spellbook from her backpack Imarra flips through it "I do not think I have learned that spell yet. It seemed cowardly at first, but now I realize how useful it could be in such situations.". Trying to suggest something helpeful she said "What I did prepare was, for example another color spray, like I used back when we camped, or a knock spell, in case we come upon a locked door.".
Drome
Drome

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:37 am

Amra Braegen: "I can teach it to you once we have the time, and color spray and knock are nice spells to have prepared. They could easily come in handy..." Amra resumes expectantly looking at the aasimar, patiently awaiting her answer. Sending Ikkri on such a mission did entail a certain amount of risk to the aasimar's endearingly jovial raven familiar, but doing so could supply them with the certainty they needed in regards to where the dozen, or however many remained, captives from the towing station which the party intended to save...
Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wigglewyrms Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:59 am

Avis hesitates. She looks at Ikkri, whose feathers are fluffed in response to Amra's praise. He had done well the last time, but he would be much closer to danger, if she allowed him to scout the caverns. Still, it seems unlikely for him to come to harm, if he's invisible, and if he only checks one room.

"All right," she eventually agrees, though a hint of worry creases her brow. "But only the room by the cliff. He'll be in and out. I don't want him coming to any more danger than necessary."
wigglewyrms
wigglewyrms

Back to top Go down

Post by Drome Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:27 am

Avis's worry is heartwrenching for Imarra, imagening how she would feel if the suggestion would be to send Nadra in. A thought comes to her mind and she plucks the ring they looted from the dark ones from her finger to offer it to Avis, "I think he should have this. While I hope it will not be needed, it won't be of any use on me while he scouts ahead.".
Drome
Drome

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:42 am

Amra Braegen nods affirmingly to the concerned aasimar sorceress before casting the invisibility spell on her courageous corvid familiar.

Invisible Ikkri flies out and a short while later the charming fellow returns safely from his scouting. Two of the orc sentries detected that something tiny and invisible flew past them, but the raven's mission was ultimately successful and the brave black bird proudly relays to his beloved planetouched mistress that nine of the captives were alive and being held in a jail in the eastern end of the upper caverns. For successfully discerning this important piece of information regarding their task in a rather inventive way, each of the adventurers gain 250 XP.
Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad Monkey Hu Sen Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:36 am

While they awaited Ikkri's return, Kardalis made sure to indicate on the map, where the sentries are and how each sentry is outfitted.
"Thankfully our scouting was not a fruitless endeavour. We were able to locate them here, here, here," he points at various locations, "Between the two of us I believe we spotted them all, without them seeing us."
Mad Monkey Hu Sen
Mad Monkey Hu Sen

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:56 am

Amra Braegen: Amra nods approvingly to Kardalis. "Good job, Saer Vasque. And same to you of course, Saer Rhenwald..."
Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:01 am

Myrdin Doedance: "Aye," Myrdin the Moonstar concurs. "I am glad that you all insisted on a more meticulous and tactical approach, despite my attempt at urging you to take immediate action with me. We'll surely stand a much better chance at accomplishing this, than if we had just rushed into their caverns wildly slinging spells and swinging swords left and right. I admit, patience is not my strong suit..."
Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lezer Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:00 am

The ranger scratches his chin, looking to the side for a moment. "One more thing," he says, pointing at a narrow pass from an intermediate cavern to the one with the ascent to the upper levels. "If we enter through this pocket behind the ravine, I suggest cutting off the orcs in the lower caverns right here. If the passage is narrow enough, a couple of oil flasks and a jar of alchemical fire will do the job. At the very least it'll give us some precious time. We can then exit from the cliffside here with a grappling hook, I'll hold one at the ready. I remember you two having some oil, right?" he looks at Nerea and Avis.
Lezer
Lezer

Back to top Go down

Post by wigglewyrms Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:13 pm

"I do. And if I remember correctly, I seem to recall Kardalis shooting fire at those dark ones, the other night." Avis rubs her chin. "I do wonder if one of us could climb that cliff and drop a rope down for the rest of us. We'd still have to deal with the lookout, and possibly the sentries, but it would save us a lot of time and effort if we could scale the cliff that's outside our destination."
wigglewyrms
wigglewyrms

Back to top Go down

Post by Drome Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:20 pm

Contemplating the things they have found out, Imarra offers "I have oil as well. Other spells I have prepared can bolster a person's strength and make them harder to hit. Whoever gets in close to the enemies might benefit the most from it.". Looking at the map some more she adds "If there were only nine captives in the upper caverns, then they might have dragged off the others to sacrifice already. Where do you think that could be. Here at the statue maybe." pointing to the westernmost room with the statue.
Drome
Drome

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next