karbraesforgottenrealms
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chapter 4: A Night To Remember

+2
wigglewyrms
Karbrae
6 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Chapter 4: A Night To Remember - Page 4 Empty Re: Chapter 4: A Night To Remember

Post by Lezer Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:46 am

"All my life, really", the ranger replied, continuing the move. "We're all pals here. Known each other for years!.. Tightly-knit... bunch'a hunters, trappers, farmers... and washed up mercenaries!"

He stops as the dance ends, releasing Nerea's hand, and bows slightly with a fancy wave of his hat.
"Thing is, most people 'round these parts used to live on isolated farms. Many still do, despite all the trouble with orcs. Pops is still out there. He's a carpenter, you see, a builder, and a damn good one at that. I just..." he shrugs. "Just lived on my own near here for years now. We still see each other occasionally. Mother, too. Not that we like each other that much, but gotta stick up for the kin, right?"
Lezer
Lezer

Back to top Go down

Chapter 4: A Night To Remember - Page 4 Empty Re: Chapter 4: A Night To Remember

Post by mageconsul Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:58 am

Thinking of her own family, Nerea nods. Though she is still smiling, her voice is perfectly serious when she responds. "Yes, of course," she agrees, as they walk back to the table. "I'd return home immediately if I were needed. We send each other letters quite frequently, you see, and I always let them know where I'm going, so they can reach me..." She hesitates, seeming thoughtful. "In fact, I may leave a letter with a courier before we depart tomorrow morning. I don't expect to die anytime soon, but it's been enough time since I sent my last letter. Better to be safe, as the saying goes, yes?"
mageconsul
mageconsul

Back to top Go down

Post by Lezer Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:07 am

"Aye, true", the ranger frowns, sitting down. "You never know. Might live a whole century and die of gout or some other shite, might get slain by a stray arrow tomorrow. Half the people I knew when I was younger are dead and buried by now. This damned war... So you go do that thing. What even made you leave in the first place?"
Lezer
Lezer

Back to top Go down

Post by mageconsul Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:14 am

"Ah, well," she hedges, with a faint laugh. "No real reason. You might say I'm a little like Imarra." She tips her head towards the wizard, mouth quirking up at the corners. "I wanted to learn, to grow and experience, and it so happened I couldn't do that well enough - or at least as well as I wanted - while still at home."
mageconsul
mageconsul

Back to top Go down

Post by mageconsul Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:27 am

Sense Motive success:
Avis senses that Nerea is uncomfortable with this line of conversation. She is also lying, or is at the very least only telling half of the truth. There is clearly something she's omitting.
mageconsul
mageconsul

Back to top Go down

Post by Lezer Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:28 am

Rhenwald nods understandingly. "Right. The grass is always greener out there yonder, eh? I should know." He looks to the side with a long sigh. It's not clear whether he notices the vagueness of the answer, and the fact that Nerea omits something, but even if he does, he doesn't show.

"I'm sure my siblings made something decent out of themselves. All the stuff I know, I was taught by uncle Gale and others like him. Didn't really feel at home on the farm. Too crowded for me I guess," the ranger chuckles. "No, a calm evening by the fireplace with a dog and some fine baccy is my idea of a good time. I don't mind the chaps here though. You know, we might grumble and swear, and take jabs at each other, but it's mostly just good-natured nonsense. With some exception, 'course. When push comes to shove, we know we got each other's back".
Lezer
Lezer

Back to top Go down

Post by wigglewyrms Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:42 am

When Nerea answers Rhenwald, Avis catches it: the slight stiffness of her smile, the stilted laugh. Dishonesty. She's hiding something. How interesting.

She shifts so that she faces Nerea, one elbow propped on the table. "I hate to interrupt, but do you have one more dance left in you, Nerea? Or do you only dance with men?" she asks, gesturing to Cyrus and Kardalis.
wigglewyrms
wigglewyrms

Back to top Go down

Post by mageconsul Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:09 am

"I..." Nerea blinks, surprised. Avis? Asking her to dance? Were she a superstitious person, she might think this an ill omen for the rest of their journey. "No, of course I'm not opposed. Though I am growing tired, so this might have to be my last dance for the evening."
mageconsul
mageconsul

Back to top Go down

Post by wigglewyrms Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:28 am

Avis grins. "Wonderful. I would prefer to lead, if you don't mind. I'd like to try the dance Rhenwald showed you." She rises from her seat and proceeds to a spot where there is room to dance.

As soon as they begin, mimicking the locals dancing around them, Avis explains, "As I told Imarra, only a fool would pass up the opportunity to dance with a beautiful woman. Particularly when we'll be in a perilous environment soon."
wigglewyrms
wigglewyrms

Back to top Go down

Post by mageconsul Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:37 am

"Certainly," Nerea says, as agreeable as ever, "though forgive me if I'm a little guarded. A few moments ago I was certain you couldn't stand me and now you're asking me to dance with you. I can't help thinking you must have something more on your mind."
mageconsul
mageconsul

Back to top Go down

Post by wigglewyrms Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:49 am

"An astute assumption. The other reason I dragged you away from curious ears was to ask you a question." Avis pauses to turn, as the dance demands. When she faces Nerea again, she steps closer. In a low voice, she asks, "Why are you really here? I know you didn't tell Rhenwald the whole truth."
wigglewyrms
wigglewyrms

Back to top Go down

Post by mageconsul Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:58 am

Nerea tilts her head, her eyes narrowing slightly. Her mouth has curved into a smile that bears a hint of steel beneath it. "Why so curious, Avisis? If you're not a little more mindful of your inquiries, I'll start to think you care."
mageconsul
mageconsul

Back to top Go down

Post by wigglewyrms Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:19 am

"What can I say? I've a curious mind. Curious enough to wonder why a cleric would need to lie about her purpose. So, what is it? Are you on a secret mission from Solonor? Or are you running from something?" When Nerea hesitates, Avis tilts her head, mirroring her companion. "Why don't we trade? A secret for a secret."
wigglewyrms
wigglewyrms

Back to top Go down

Post by mageconsul Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:28 am

Deliberating, Nerea glances about, taking stock of their fellow dancers. The song has begun to slow; soon it will come to an end and they will have no grand excuse to continue whispering. She meets Avis's calculating gaze. "I didn't lie," she tells her. "I simply omitted. But all right. Your secret first."
mageconsul
mageconsul

Back to top Go down

Post by wigglewyrms Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:39 am

"My true name is Avisis Hidalgo. I'm the runaway daughter of Camila Hidalgo, a merchant lord in Nyth." Avis glances about to ensure their privacy. "No one seems to be listening. What did you omit?"
wigglewyrms
wigglewyrms

Back to top Go down

Post by mageconsul Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:50 am

Her eyes widening slightly, Nerea peers at her with transparent curiosity. "Avisis Hidalgo," she whispers, testing the name. "I don't suppose you'll be forthcoming about precisely why you've had to adopt a different name?" She shakes her head. "No matter. The truth is that my mother and I had a serious disagreement about my future. She wanted me to stay and be satisfied with our lot, and I simply couldn't. As you might imagine, she isn't particularly happy with me at the moment."
mageconsul
mageconsul

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad Monkey Hu Sen Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:04 am

Off to the side, in the same spot he has been since they first day down, Kardalis quietly sips at his water.
Cyrus deciding to dance with Nerea was surprising enough, but Avis CHOOSING to was downright shocking.
He watches them with a curious eye and notices that Avis must have chosen to do so for discussion as much as the pleasure of dancing.
Staring after them across the room, Kard crooks one eyebrow in an unspoken question when either of them look his way.
Mad Monkey Hu Sen
Mad Monkey Hu Sen

Back to top Go down

Post by wigglewyrms Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:06 am

Avis's brows rise. "Really? And you seemed so nostalgic when you discussed your family with Cyrus earlier. Perhaps you and I have more in common than we thought. My mother and I certainly had our fair share of disagreements," she says, half teasing.

The song slows to a stop, and the two end their dance. Satisfied with their exchange, Avis gives a small bow. "Thank you for the dance, miss Maendellyn. And good job on your performance, earlier. I was in error when I assumed you would do poorly."
wigglewyrms
wigglewyrms

Back to top Go down

Post by mageconsul Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:15 am

"Careful," Nerea teases, shoulders relaxing for the first time since Avis steered her to the dance floor. "I could get used to this. I like you much better when you're nice to me, you know. Funny how that works."

As they approach the table, she can't help catching Kardalis's eye. She smiles at him, tired but playful. "I tried to save you a dance. Alas, I think I might be too exhausted."
mageconsul
mageconsul

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad Monkey Hu Sen Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:19 am

With a straight face but a twinkle in his eye, "I suppose I won't hold it against you. A travesty, but alas I believe I will overcome the emotional hurt"
Mad Monkey Hu Sen
Mad Monkey Hu Sen

Back to top Go down

Post by mageconsul Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:26 am

"Next time," she promises with a grin. "You're much too charming to remain on the sidelines for long."
mageconsul
mageconsul

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:52 am

~ End of Chapter 4 ~
Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

https://karbraesrealms.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4