karbraesforgottenrealms
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chapter 2: Arriving in Jalanthar

5 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Chapter 2: Arriving in Jalanthar - Page 3 Empty Re: Chapter 2: Arriving in Jalanthar

Post by Karbrae Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:28 am

Chapter 2: Arriving in Jalanthar - Page 3 Sylkar10

Amra Bragen: "I've heard varying accounts of his accomplishments... It is difficult to discern rumors and speculation from factual knowledge however, as is often the case with such venerable old hero-types... People have a tendency to muddle up events for various reasons when tales are told about persons more extraordinary than themselves - for better or worse... I've heard for one though, that he was somehow involved in the destruction of Hellgate Keep in the High Forest three years ago, but that whole business is likewise veiled in mystery, as is usually the case with any business involving Those Who Harp..."

The moon elf lifts her tankard and thoughtfully takes a modest sip.

Last edited by Karbrae on Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:38 pm; edited 5 times in total
Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

https://karbraesrealms.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Chapter 2: Arriving in Jalanthar - Page 3 Empty Re: Chapter 2: Arriving in Jalanthar

Post by Drome Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:43 am

The waitress comes at the perfect time, before Nadra becomes restless in Imarra's lap. Taking one of the sausages she rips it open, first smelling the meaty aroma gleefully and then taking a bite herself before giving her familiar a couple pieces too. Similarly does she handle the fruit, cheese and bread, trying to get a full grasp on the smells and tastes the area offered.
Curious if the things they are eating were fully local or some ingredients come through trading, she holds off from asking the waitress because of the elder talking to her. "Why did it get quiet, is it not a good thing that a member of the village council is here?" Imarra questions in a hushed tone, curious since from her home she is used to circle members showing up being a great thing.
Drome
Drome

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:04 pm

Amra Bragen: "The man commands a lot of respect within his community. I suppose it is the same with your hathran in Rashemen..."
Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad Monkey Hu Sen Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:46 pm

Kardalis continues Amra's thought, "...and with the Red Wizards in Thay, and with the Chieftains in Icewind Dale, and with nobles in Waterdeep, and with the priestesses in Menzonberranzan....
Powerful people maintain their power through fear, and that fear might be either terror or awe, but it often looks the same"
Mad Monkey Hu Sen
Mad Monkey Hu Sen

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:26 pm

Amra Bragen: "Fear can indeed be a powerful tool but it is a fickle force and has a tendency to become unwieldy and cause nigh irreparable chaos if utilized by unqualified hands. There's a reason tyrants usually cause the downfall of their own dominions..."

The moon elf adds and takes another measured sip of her cider.
Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wigglewyrms Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:37 pm

Avis quirks an eyebrow. "'Unqualified hands'? So you're saying there exist qualified individuals who wield fear in a more constructive manner? Interesting. Usually when I hear it discussed, people go on about how leaders should be respected for kindness, fairness, and all that, not for any fear they inspire."
wigglewyrms
wigglewyrms

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad Monkey Hu Sen Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:51 pm

"A political group we have assembled here, eh? Like I said, I think fear is two things." Kard turns to Avis, a small smile appearing on his lips "Avis, if you stand one on one with a goblin and start to speak your arcane sentences, that goblin will fear you. If you happen to have a weak farmer gal behind you, who you are protecting, she too will fear you when she sees fire and force fly from your fingertips. One is dread, one is awe, same cause, but different effect, and we still consider one of those to be positive."
Mad Monkey Hu Sen
Mad Monkey Hu Sen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad Monkey Hu Sen Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:51 pm

After a brief pause, Kardalis adds, "Unless you lose to the goblin because he sticks you in the kidney..."
Mad Monkey Hu Sen
Mad Monkey Hu Sen

Back to top Go down

Post by wigglewyrms Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:07 pm

"Fair enough," says Avis. "But of course, sometimes you don't need to do anything to inspire either emotion. If you, a half-drow, were to walk into a room full of people who judge by appearances, they would fear you. If I did the same, I might inspire awe." She shrugs, starting to raise her tankard again. "I suppose in either scenario—goblin or prejudice—I'm the one who ends up with more pretty farm girls. So maybe that's the difference between fear and awe." She sips at her cider.
wigglewyrms
wigglewyrms

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad Monkey Hu Sen Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:11 pm

Kardalis nods solemnly, "What you say is true...unless you just end up with one less kidney"
He throws up his hands in mock despair, "Alas it seems as though I shall always be alone"
Mad Monkey Hu Sen
Mad Monkey Hu Sen

Back to top Go down

Post by Drome Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:17 pm

Listening to the discussion about fear and awe, Imarra let out with furrowed brows, showing that she she doesn't quite understand, "Fear and awe?" glancing at Kardalis and Avis respectively. "Is, is that how people in these lands normally look at you?" she questions curiously.
Drome
Drome

Back to top Go down

Post by mageconsul Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:42 pm

At Imarra's question, Nerea says, "I wouldn't be surprised, frankly. Some people see those with celestial ancestry and set them unerringly on a pedestal, even though they're really just people. Exceptionally pretty people, certainly, but people nevertheless." She meets Avis's eyes. "Remind me; how does that one saying go? Even the loveliest surface might hide a terrible personality?" She wrinkles her nose, her grin sardonic. "No, that can't be right."

"Oh, but--Kardalis?" She smiles at him over the brim of her tankard. "I wouldn't worry about that. You're really quite handsome. And charming."
mageconsul
mageconsul

Back to top Go down

Post by wigglewyrms Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:56 pm

Avis meets Nerea's gaze evenly. "I believe it may be more accurate to say that I'm not everyone's cup of tea. Maybe you don't like it bitter, but some do."

She nods toward Imarra. "But yes, Nerea is right about one thing. Many see an aasimar individual, beautiful as we are, and assume us to be heroic saviors or some such nonsense. Or it's the knowledge that we are closer to angels than most others. Or both."
wigglewyrms
wigglewyrms

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad Monkey Hu Sen Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:05 pm

In response to Imarra's question, Kardalis first locks eyes with Avis and then begins to nod slowly, "I'd say so, but for many, my utility outweighs their prejudice"
Hearing Nerea's compliment his face hardly changes, but he does look in her direction. "If scars are handsome and philosophy is charming..."
Mad Monkey Hu Sen
Mad Monkey Hu Sen

Back to top Go down

Post by mageconsul Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:13 pm

“More so than undue rudeness,” Nerea says, her smile sweet. “But yes, I would say so.”
mageconsul
mageconsul

Back to top Go down

Post by Drome Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:14 pm

"Oh, that is how it is. Interesting." Imarra humms, giving Nadra some more bits of the sausage. She glances around to the others at the table and back to Avis "But what people see as beautiful can differ from country to country and even from person to person, so I there could be lands where Kardalis receives a better reaction than you, couldn't it?".
Drome
Drome

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad Monkey Hu Sen Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:33 pm

Kardalis ponders the question, "Perhaps in a Thieves' Guild?"
Mad Monkey Hu Sen
Mad Monkey Hu Sen

Back to top Go down

Post by wigglewyrms Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:38 pm

Avis shrugs at Imarra's question. "It's a little more difficult when both of your halves traditionally hate and fear one another. Humans and other surface dwellers hate drow, and drow hate surface dwellers. Though I suppose they can't all hate each other, if Kardalis exists in the first place, so perhaps you're right."
wigglewyrms
wigglewyrms

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:52 pm

Amra Bragen: "Yes, it is often nasty when two opposing halves fight, but then again a lot of interesting things can arise from such a conflict. From chaos comes creation and order. I mean if it wasn't for the War of Light and Darkness between the Sisters-Who-Were-One, most of the world as we know it today wouldn't even exist..."

The moon elf empties her tankard and rises from the table.

Amra Bragen: "Anyways, I believe we have a ranger to visit... Shall we?"
Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mageconsul Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:08 pm

“Let’s,” Nerea agrees. As they stand, gathering their things, she lingers near Avis, waiting until most of the others have trailed outside. When she speaks, she does so with an odd expression, caught somewhere between mild remorse and faint amusement. “You know...you made a fair point, about not being everyone’s cup of tea.” At Avis’s expression, she quickly amends, “That is, I agree with you; I’m not everyone’s cup of tea, either, and I was perhaps needlessly cruel to you. But...you were wrong about one thing.”
mageconsul
mageconsul

Back to top Go down

Post by wigglewyrms Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:12 pm

As they slowly trail the others, both Avis and Ikkri peer at Nerea curiously. "Is that so? A rare occasion indeed. Whatever could I be wrong about?" wonders Avis.
wigglewyrms
wigglewyrms

Back to top Go down

Post by mageconsul Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:16 pm

Twisting so that she’s walking backwards, Nerea smiles at her. “I do like bitter things. You just seem to dislike sweetness.”
mageconsul
mageconsul

Back to top Go down

Post by wigglewyrms Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:32 pm

Avis smirks. "I've never had much of a sweet tooth, no. I've not quite acquired the taste. Makes my stomach turn."

"Ikkri is a sweet boy!" says the raven, perched on the crook of Avis's raised elbow. He mimics another kiss toward Nerea.

Avis rolls her eyes. "Well, at least you have one admirer," she says. "You should know that he's incredibly shallow, though. He probably only likes you because you're pretty. And you spoil him."
wigglewyrms
wigglewyrms

Back to top Go down

Post by mageconsul Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:36 pm

“Well, that’s because he deserves it,” she croons at him, just as they rejoin the rest of the party. To Amra, she says, “So. To Rhenwald’s?”
mageconsul
mageconsul

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:06 pm

Amra Braegen: "Yes. Follow me."

The aged moon elf in the dark blue and purple robes leads the party out of the Crowing Cockatrice, towards the north gate of Jalanthar and the trail through the forested foothills beyond - the foothills where Rhenwald's cabin lies secluded, and the foothills they must soon traverse to reach the looming dark peaks in the distance known as the Nether Mountains, and the Moon Pass there, where the ultimate destination of their mission awaits them - Whisperwind Keep...

~ End of Chapter 2 ~

Last edited by Karbrae on Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3