karbraesforgottenrealms
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chapter 1: A Cold Wind Blowing

5 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Chapter 1: A Cold Wind Blowing - Page 2 Empty Re: Chapter 1: A Cold Wind Blowing

Post by mageconsul Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:50 pm

"We certainly can," Nerea agrees. She laughs slightly, the sound forced, and gently nudges Ikkri onto one of her fingers. With her other hand, she plucks the slimy silver piece out of her hair and drops it beside her pack. "Though I do rather hate leaving things unfinished."

After a moment, she lightly runs a finger over the top of Ikkri's head, imitating the way she's seen Avis touch him. "I know," she croons at him, smiling when he preens. "It's not your fault your master bumbles through all manner of social graces."

Lifting him up into the air, she allows him to flutter back to his perch on Avis's shoulder.
mageconsul
mageconsul

Back to top Go down

Chapter 1: A Cold Wind Blowing - Page 2 Empty Re: Chapter 1: A Cold Wind Blowing

Post by Mad Monkey Hu Sen Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:05 pm

"In my experience, unfinished generally equates to unpaid. I don't take jobs that I don't think I can finish." Kardalis stands up and casts his gaze about the party and about the camp. "This is one of only three jobs I have ever taken that weren't solo. The first two were forced on me, but this one....this was my choice."
Clapping his hands together abruptly he speaks uncomfortably loud for the late hour "Well! Looks like time to rest, and if none of you object, I will take first watch."
Mad Monkey Hu Sen
Mad Monkey Hu Sen

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:20 pm

Chapter 1: A Cold Wind Blowing - Page 2 Selune10

Several hours later...

Deep into the night, during Kardalis' watch, the wind has picked up and is now howling eerily outside the ruin encampment.

Through the ruined roof, a full Selûne can be seen shining brightly along her tears amidst a cover of  puffy grey clouds on the dark blue winter night sky.

The campfire is slowly dying, the embers in the charred firewood only providing minimal heat and illumination now, and the pile of wood and branches the group gathered early while they set up camp has diminished to only a couple of branches.

The group has agreed to the importance of keeping the fire going to provide enough warmth for the party to be able to sleep more comfortably and to avoid getting sick from the cold, but they have also agreed that if the firewood runs out, the one keeping watch shall wake up another before leaving camp to fetch more...

Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

https://karbraesrealms.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad Monkey Hu Sen Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:36 pm

Staring into the speckled darkness of the night sky, Kardalis is lost in thought, mental acuity and a close acquaintance with darkness have made him who he is.
However, a particularly large crack from the fire breaks him out of his reverie, and he grudgingly tears his eyes from the infinity above and sees the glowing embers of a near-extinguished flame.
Grumbling something about the necessity of fire, or lack thereof, Kardalis walks over to where the others are sleeping.
Unfortunately they didn't decide who was the one he was supposed to wake up.
Not in the mood for grumbling or sarcasm, he quietly pads past the sleeping aasimar, and gently shakes the shoulders of Nerea, bracing himself for the inevitable tide of cheerfulness and conversation.
"No emergency, just need more firewood, can you take up watch while I fetch some?"
Mad Monkey Hu Sen
Mad Monkey Hu Sen

Back to top Go down

Post by mageconsul Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:53 pm

Blinking blearily into the light, Nerea stifles a yawn. Silently, she rises, taking up position near the remnants of a wall. Her bow clutched tightly in one hand, she holds her blanket tightly around her shoulders with the other as she takes up a good position. "I'm ready," she says simply. "Good luck out there. Oh, and do call if you need help."
mageconsul
mageconsul

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:21 am

Kardalis heads out of the encampment and into the dark copse adjacent to the ruin where he soon finds a good spot to gather branches and twigs from.

As he bends down to do so, he suddenly gets an eerie feeling that he is being watched, and when he lifts his head to peer among the trees, this is what he sees:

Dare to look?:

Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad Monkey Hu Sen Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:28 am

Kardalis is momentarily startled, expecting something to be there in part, but knowing that it shouldn't be.
He stares at the creature, waiting for a response, wondering if it will say anything, and mentally preparing himself for any forthcoming attack, mental or physical.
He purposely tries to show no fear, not backing down but letting the creature know that he is obviously aware of it's presence and not going to run away screaming.
Mad Monkey Hu Sen
Mad Monkey Hu Sen

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:44 am

Chapter 1: A Cold Wind Blowing - Page 2 Darkcr10

As Kardalis stares back at the creature, a subtle smile gleaming with malice slowly forms on its uncanny face, and then it suddenly breaks the silence, speaking in a shrill and raspy whisper:

Undercommon:
Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad Monkey Hu Sen Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:27 am

Kardalis replies in undercommon, "Even if I turn out this one, the great light comes in but a few hours. Why do you need to be by their light?"
To himself, Kardalis wonders, 'could it be one of those? why would it be here, they don't belong on the surface!'
Mad Monkey Hu Sen
Mad Monkey Hu Sen

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:19 am

Kardalis notices more of the eerie hooded creatures appear between the dark trees and bushes of the copse, wielding daggers and shortswords. He counts six of them in total. Their leader then replies:

Undercommon:
Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad Monkey Hu Sen Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:51 am

The more they speak of their intent, the more Kardalis begins to think he knows just what these...things.... are.
"If we put out the light, you will leave? No stealing, no killing. Otherwise..." Kardalis smiles widely, "We kill you, all of you, we will bring the light early, cause the skyfire to shine on you"
Mad Monkey Hu Sen
Mad Monkey Hu Sen

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:59 am

Undercommon:

The leader's mischiveous smile widens as it stares unflinchingly at the half-drow. A few of the other dark ones behind it snicker.
Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad Monkey Hu Sen Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:13 am

Kardalis picks his way carefully back to camp making sure that they don't flank him on the way, and trying to make sure that they keep their distance.
When he gets close enough to be heard he says first in undercommon, "I will tell my companion to move out and extinguish the flame"
He then hollers in Elven, so as to be heard by as many as possible, "We will be having some company, if you have a way to make it bright, do so as soon as you see me. Wake the others"
Mad Monkey Hu Sen
Mad Monkey Hu Sen

Back to top Go down

Post by mageconsul Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:44 am

Making eye contact with Imarra, who looks confused, sleepy, and somewhat alarmed, Nerea makes her way towards her pack, letting the blanket pool across it. She looks to Avis's still-prone form as she draws an arrow from her quiver.

"Get up, Strangelight," she says quietly. "We've got company. If any of you have a way to make it bright, let loose as soon as Kardalis steps into view. Based on his tone, this might get nasty."
mageconsul
mageconsul

Back to top Go down

Post by wigglewyrms Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:18 am

Grumbling, Avis begins to rise. "Company?" she mutters. "I haven't even made myself pretty, yet."

"Make it bright," Ikkri whispers, mimicking Nerea's voice.

"Bright, hm? I might have something for that. But first..." She reaches into her component pouch and touches a scrap of cured leather, focusing her magic. With her other hand, she places her palm over her heart and begins to cast Mage Armor.
wigglewyrms
wigglewyrms

Back to top Go down

Post by Drome Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:43 pm

Feeling like she just fell asleep in her bedroll, Imarra blinks and looks around confused at Nerea, her eyes widen when she notices her picking up an arrow and Avisis casting a spell. A spell Imarra knows herself, Mage Armor. Not signs that hint towards pleasant company.

Imarra slips out of her bedding and fumbles for her spellpouch with the little knick-knacks needed for some spells and picks out her own piece of cured leather to follow suit, casting Mage Armor on herself and sharing it with her cat at her feet.
Drome
Drome

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:35 pm

At the sound of spells being cast from within the ruin, the dark one's face frowns in wrath and its raspy whisper takes on a more sinister tone.

Undercommon:

The dark ones begin to yell and growl.

Combat Initiates. Roll Initiative.
Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad Monkey Hu Sen Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:10 pm

Kardalis replies before drawing his blade, "The dawn shall come early and you shall all burn"
Mad Monkey Hu Sen
Mad Monkey Hu Sen

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:29 pm

Chapter 1: A Cold Wind Blowing - Page 2 Sylkar10

Amra Bragen: "Kardalis is in trouble! Quickly!"

Amra casts shield and moves swiftly towards and through the ruin's entrance, drawing the rather large chakram from her side as she does so. She is now within range of Kardalis and the dark ones.

Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:51 pm

Three of the dark creepers attack Kardalis. The first one misses, but the other two hit him with their daggers, causing respectively 11 and 13 piercing damage, for a total of 24 damage.

The other two dark creepers attack Amra, but her magical shield deflects their attacks.

Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Drome Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:06 pm

Despite the warning they received Imarra is not fully prepared for the encounter, many of her tings still on the ground next to her backpack. But seeing the silhouettes of several creatures moving around Amra and Kardalis is a clear notion that she won't have the time to strap on her equipment.

Fingers digging into her spellpouch again Imarra ran forwards and spoke the incantation while moving her hand with a couple pinches of sand in front of her. Taking a position somewhat behind and to the side of Amra she released a colorful cone of magical sand between Amra and Kardalis, hoping to target one of the enemies targeting Amra and two around Kardalis.

(Color Spray Enemies need to make a DC 13 Willpower save)
Drome
Drome

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:13 pm

One of the dark creepers attacking Kardalis is unconscious, blinded, and stunned for 4 rounds, then blinded and stunned for 4 rounds, and then stunned for 1 round.
Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad Monkey Hu Sen Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:23 pm

Grimacing in pain from the two wounds created by the creepers, Kardalis warily backs away from his assailants, using his weapon to keep them at bay and as soon as he seems to be safely out of their reach he runs towards the others yelling "Light! We need light!"

Last edited by Mad Monkey Hu Sen on Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mad Monkey Hu Sen
Mad Monkey Hu Sen

Back to top Go down

Post by wigglewyrms Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:48 pm

"I heard you the first time!" Avis retorts.

She backs away such that only the nearest foe(s) can reach her. She draws her sickle and touches a hand to it. Uttering a few words, she feels energy—her own divine energy, this time—trickle through her fingertips. The sickle begins to shine bright as day as she casts Daylight. She brandishes the weapon towards the dark figures, now awash in light.

(Light as bright as full daylight shines in a 60-foot radius, and dim light shines for an additional 60 feet beyond that. Creatures that take penalties in bright light also take them while within the radius of this magical light.)
wigglewyrms
wigglewyrms

Back to top Go down

Post by mageconsul Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:40 pm

"Kardalis!" Nerea calls, her heart racing. She moves past him to stand at the entrance, the buckler strapped to her arm brandished to hold foes at bay. As she speaks, the symbol of the longbow etched upon its surface begins to emit a faint glow. "There are curatives in my pack!"

Her muscles tense, she takes a breath and utters a brief, nigh unintelligible prayer to Solonor Thelandira: Watch over me, great protector; guide my arm, that I may choose my targets with care and wisdom. Her arm extended, she draws from the well of divine energy sitting warm within her breast and, with a smile, casts Summon Monster II. At her command, there is a pulse of silvery light, fine like mist--and three badgers emerge from its depths, poised to strike the nearest dark one.

Under her direction, one of them attempts to flank.
mageconsul
mageconsul

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next