karbraesforgottenrealms
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chapter 7: Back in Jalanthar

+2
Mad Monkey Hu Sen
Karbrae
6 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Chapter 7: Back in Jalanthar - Page 3 Empty Re: Chapter 7: Back in Jalanthar

Post by Mad Monkey Hu Sen Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:18 pm

Kardalis nods appreciatively at the extent of the transaction.
To Avis he responds "If it keeps up from getting killed, I'm all for it."
With a hand on his chin he browses the wares looking critically at all the items, seeing if there are any particularly suited for his skills.
Mad Monkey Hu Sen
Mad Monkey Hu Sen

Back to top Go down

Post by Drome Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:44 am

Helping to put all the things they wanted to sell on the counter, Imarra has some regret for parting with all those magical treasures. Sure, some were gruesome and others have been used to hurt people, but the magic in them was not bad itself.
"Thank you mister Chaz, I will seek out Ithnar Modrasz for the materials, but I shall buy everything else I need here." Imarra tells the halfling, counting out most of her moon coins, equal for 250 gold. Despite the advantage of them being worth twice the value and saving space in her pouch, she is not sure how regularly she will do business with people who accept them for that worth, so she decides to utilize them while the option is still clearly there.
Drome
Drome

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:22 pm

After placing the Staker back on the counter and concluding the small side-transaction with Imarra, the halfling looks at Cyrus Rhenwald and Nerea Maendellyn.

Chapter 7: Back in Jalanthar - Page 3 Riskin10

Riskin Chaz:  "Now, I believe there was some interest into what I had available in the archery compartment, besides Staker here." Riskin places two bows and a variety of enchanted arrow bundles on the counter. One of the bows is a beautiful longbow exquisitely carved in the semblance of an ankheg and the other is s plain, unadorned longbow made of solid black wood. Black leather wrapped around the staff provides a firm grip, and even the bowstring has been dyed black... "These two bows are the Acid Ankheg and the Black Bow. The Acid Ankheg we bought from Talagar the Troll Hunter, who was its last wielder. Arrows fired with the Ankheg deal corrosive damage to its target, hence why Talagar favored it for slaying trolls. As we all know those pesky buggers take something extra, such as fire or acid, to properly down. The other one, the Black Bow, is apparently slightly cursed, but supposedly excellent for slaying drow. We obtained it from a dwarven ranger named Khofar who had been driven rather insane by the bow's grievous whispers. And yes, I can confirm, the bow does whisper to its wielder. Also, the mad dwarf did eventually regain his sanity... The Acid Ankheg is 7,740 gold and the Black Bow is 2,138 gold."
Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

https://karbraesrealms.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad Monkey Hu Sen Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:53 pm

Kardalis narrows his eyes at the bow created for killing drow, many questions immediately springing to mind.
Lest Riskin hasn't seen him yet, Kardalis steps forward. "How does a bow manage to be 'excellent for killing drow'? I have no love for my heritage, but they are elves, little different than the surface races. That is to say, how does a bow kill 'drow' better than it kills elves of the moon or the wood?"
Mad Monkey Hu Sen
Mad Monkey Hu Sen

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:43 pm

Riskin Chaz:  "Well, according to Khofar, the bow let him detect the presence of drow in his vicinity when he concentrated, and also seemed to be more efficient in downing his drow adversaries than other bows he had used. I don't know much more about it to be honest. If you want to know more about the Black Bow, I suggest you seek out Khofar, or a loremaster perhaps... Khofar lives in the Riverside Lodge and old Ithnar Modrasz, whom I mentioned earlier, is quite knowledgeable when it comes to lore and magical items... And don't worry, good saer, I know that not all The Ones Who Went Below and their descendants are as evil and cruel as the majority of their race... I do not blame you for the actions of your kind."
Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad Monkey Hu Sen Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:52 pm

Kardalis nods slowly,
"It seems that that would be an interesting conversation to have with Khofar. And... an interesting item to say the least. Do you have to deal with Drow here in Jalanthar often?"
Mad Monkey Hu Sen
Mad Monkey Hu Sen

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:30 pm

Riskin Chaz:  "Interesting indeed, saer. Regarding drow in the area, perhaps it'd be better if you spoke with one of the locals instead. I've not been around that long, you see. I suggest Barthor Heldruin, the proprietor of the Crowing Cockatrice. The Dragonspur House here in Jalanthar only just opened for business last Kythorn, and I am only acting as store keeper here temporarily. Can't wait to get back into the field, to be honest with you. I get easily bored and prefer to have some excitement in life, which is the exact reason why Illuazorne assigned me this task in the first place - I got up to some unfortunate business in Everlund I probably shouldn't have, and she relocated me here and assigned me the role of store keeper. Said it'd be good for me to lay low for a while and work a bit on my discipline and patience. To answer your question though, for the couple of months I've been here, there's only been a few drow attacks in the area that I know of... Throughout the whole of the Rauvin Vale, such occurrences are far from uncommon though, but the High Lady's Alliance, and with that, the formation of the League confederacy and their Argent Legion, has made things considerably better and less dangerous throughout the region. The greatest threat to the folk of the Vale remains orcs, however... Especially now with Obould rousing up every orc from here to the Spine of the World... But I digress. Shall I add the Black Bow to your list of acquisitions?"
Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad Monkey Hu Sen Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:49 pm

Kardalis waves his hand dismissively
"Not my kind of weapon, neither in utility nor philosophy. If our bow-folk choose to purchase it, that is their prerogative"
He steps back away from the seller and his wares and leans against a wall, ready to leave when the group chooses to.
Mad Monkey Hu Sen
Mad Monkey Hu Sen

Back to top Go down

Post by Drome Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:15 am

The bow made to slay drow s a curious thing. Imarra is interested in finding out how it has been enchanted. It must be a specifically targeted spell, like the one on the undead bane arrows and bolts. But before she can get overwhelmed to suggest buying it just to study, Imarra decides to head over to Ithnar Modrasz, telling the others "I am going to visit Ithnar Modrasz for the scroll materials before the rain gets too strong, can I leave the rest of the trade up to you? We can meet up at the Crowing Cockatrice or Rhenwald's place later.".
Drome
Drome

Back to top Go down

Post by mageconsul Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:34 pm

Nerea smiles at Imarra, even as she seems a little distracted by the prospect of purchasing a new bow. "Yes, of course. I don't know if this will take too much longer. Is there anything else you'd like us to pick up while we're here? Potions, perhaps?"

As she waits for Imarra's answer, she reaches out, touching the surface of the Black Bow. "Khofar, you said? I may have some questions for him. Like Kardalis said, this is not the sort of weapon I would wield--I have similar philosophical disagreements--but I am curious about the nature of this curse. The Acid Ankheg, however...that seems far more to my liking."
mageconsul
mageconsul

Back to top Go down

Post by Drome Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:12 am

"I am not familiar with potions other than the type to heal wounds, and I still have a couple of those. But if you see something that could be useful go for it, in a pinch I'd rather have another potion or a warm meal than a handfull of gold." Imarra reassures Nerea that she will be behind any decision the half elf makes, before leaving and heading over to the other shop to buy materials for scrolls.
Drome
Drome

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:23 pm

Chapter 7: Back in Jalanthar - Page 3 Blackh10

It is dark and rainy outside, making it appear as late evening, even though it is still only afternoon. The heavy downpour has transformed the dirt streets of Jalanthar into treacherous, almost canal-like obstacle courses of slippery mud and streams and puddles of muddy water, and the dark clouds overhead combined with the fog and rain makes it hard to see much more than the shadowy silhouettes of the homes and establishments of the little frontier hamlet.

As Imarra makes her way towards the buildings to the west, where Ithnar Modrasz's odd, angular home is supposedly located, she almost trips over a black hen she hadn't spotted due to the condition of poor visibility and the fact that the hen must have been standing completely still, and the small, shocked animal offendedly flaps its wings and clucks dramatically, as it escapes its would-be assailant...
Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wigglewyrms Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:33 pm

Avis raises an eyebrow at Nerea's choice. "Really? I didn't think an acid-spitting bow was your style. I would think you'd prefer some holy-infused weapon. To smite evil, and all that," she says.
wigglewyrms
wigglewyrms

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad Monkey Hu Sen Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:52 pm

Kardalis still leaning against wall near the entrance of the shop. Leans in with a touch of interest as Avisis even here continues her relentless... assault? Not quite.
A remark on the tip of his tongue, he is about to speak, but decides to allow Nerea the first opportunity, realizing she is fully capable of holding her own.
Mad Monkey Hu Sen
Mad Monkey Hu Sen

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:49 pm

Chapter 7: Back in Jalanthar - Page 3 Ithnar10

After her unintentional clash with the black hen, Imarra finds the home matching the description given to her by Rizkin Chaz  - a strangely built, angular two story wooden house with a sloping thatch roof, by a path leading to an exit in the old stone wall surrounding the town - and knocks on the peculiar building's green front door...

After a while, an aging man in blue robes with a bulging left eye and slightly greasy-looking dark hair and beard slowly opens the creaking door, just enough so that he can peer outside. He looks Imarra over, sighs and says:

Ithnar Modrasz:  "My-my-my, what do we have here? Wasn't expecting any uninvited strangers to come and disturb my peace while I was conducting some rather important research in this wretched weather! I was finally getting some real work done for once... But look at you, oh you poor thing... You're absolutely drenched, lass! Tavern's right over there! That big round building with the weird roof. Yeah, you should go there and dry up a bit - regain your wits. I'm definitely not letting you into my house like that. You'll wet the carpets and everything! If it's important, you'll want to see Elder Crommarth. He lives in that big house over there! Otherwise, I can't really help you. I'm sorry lass. Now shoo. Shoo! "
Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:10 am

Simply touching the Black Bow yields no immediate, discernible result for the priestess of Solonor...

Riskin Chaz:  "Khofar yes, and an excellent choice, goodwoman. I'm sure the Acid Ankheg will serve you quite well, especially if you already feel that way about it. Talagar Trollhunter made quite a name for himself with that bow throughout the North, from here in the Marches to the Sword Coast,  and I'm quite sure that it has served other extraordinary people before him as well. Talagar says he bought it many years ago in Athkatla, the City of Coin, down south in Amn, from a mysterious planetouched merchant from Calimshan. May it serve you well, goodwoman..."

Riskin ceremoniously hands Nerea the Acid Ankheg.

Last edited by Karbrae on Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Drome Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:25 am

When she opens the door and looks out into the bad weather, Imarra holds her vest over her head for at least some cover as she runs through the streets. In her hurry and looking for the house Riskin directed her to, she finds her foot hitting something and the clucking makes it quickly clear what it is. As the black hen flapping and clucking rushes off, Imarra feels bad for hitting it but only manages to shout "Oh, I am so sorry. Please forgive me and find some cover.".

Hoping she found the right house Imarra knocks on the door, but the reaction she receives leaves her dumbfounded for a moment. He is somewhat strange, but definitely kind, as he doesn't just shoo her off but directs her to places where she might find some warmth and shelter. Imarra wipes a strand of hair sticking to her face aside and continues to hold her soaked vest over her head, rain running down her arms into the already utterly drenched shirt. "I do apologize for my bad timing." begins the witch before concluding with "Riskin Chaz sends me. I wanted to buy materials to create spell scrolls from him but he directed me here.". While Imarra would prefer to be polite and give a proper introduction, the heavy rain leads her to be a bit more concise and to the point in a hope to not spend too much time in the rain, either getting the materials at this point or leaving to try the next day.
Drome
Drome

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:51 pm

Chapter 7: Back in Jalanthar - Page 3 Ithnar10

Ithnar Modrasz:  "Oh, I see! I see! Riskin Chaz sent you! The old, weird wizard guy is buying stuff from us so he doesn't have to go to the big city and bother with all the people there. That must mean we can send our customers to him, whenever they need something wizardy we don't have in store... 'Tis only fair, right? A favor for a favor... Lady Dragonspur has come to Jalanthar, so we're all Moonstars now, right? Tsk! Riskin Chaz sent you! Bloody hells! Alright then, which materials do you need? I'm conducting some important research at the moment, so please make it quick!"

Ithnar's eye seems to be bulging even more now, his skin has become red and sweaty and his veins much more pronounced. The man is clearly quite aggravated...
Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Drome Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:22 am

Ithnar definitely doesn't seem to like Riskin much, if his talk and tone are anything to go by. Remembering her own experience of Riskin, she can clearly understand how someone who defines dealing with bigger numbers of people, like in a city, a bother would dislike his extroverted manner.

Imarra does her best to not talk too much, one reason being that she doesn't want to seem similar to Riskin Chaz, the other her disinterest for spending all too long in the pouring rain. "I am looking for materials to practice making spell scrolls. If you have enough of them I'd like two hundred gold worth. Seeing as you are conducting your own research I don't want to keep you from it longer than needed." the witch tells the angry man, hoping her bag was well made enough to keep her things dry enough despite the heavy downpour.
Drome
Drome

Back to top Go down

Post by mageconsul Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:53 pm

Nerea laughs at Avis's words, releasing her hold on the Black Bow and accepting the Acid Ankheg. "Thank you, Riskin." She tests its weight, admiring its limbs, and says, "A bow like that would be worth its weight in gold, but I'm afraid it's well out of our price range at the moment." She peers at Avis as she tests the string, angling the bow in her direction with a smile. "I know it's not my usual style, but I like it, and I think it could be useful. How do I look?"
mageconsul
mageconsul

Back to top Go down

Post by wigglewyrms Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:55 pm

The corner of Avis's lips pull into a smirk. "Cute. Maybe a new bow is all you need to improve your marksmanship. Let's hope." Avis grabs the unloaded Staker and points it towards Nerea, one eye closed. "And me? Do I look dashing? Dangerous? Mysterious?"
wigglewyrms
wigglewyrms

Back to top Go down

Post by mageconsul Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:02 pm

Seeming unruffled by Avis's backhanded remark, Nerea slowly looks her over. "A little dashing, maybe. The shiny new crossbow makes it the slightest bit easier to overlook the fact that you're an ass."
mageconsul
mageconsul

Back to top Go down

Post by wigglewyrms Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:08 pm

"A dashing ass with a flashy new spell and a shiny new crossbow. I'll take it," says Avis, grinning.
wigglewyrms
wigglewyrms

Back to top Go down

Post by mageconsul Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:14 pm

Nerea grins back at her before stepping away from the counter, the Ankheg still in hand. "Do we need anything else before we finish this transaction? Like I said earlier, I'd really like a bath."
mageconsul
mageconsul

Back to top Go down

Post by wigglewyrms Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:31 pm

"A bath sounds lovely. I may partake, as well. Hopefully there's enough hot water for the two of us. If not, well...we could always share," Avis suggests, her smile crooked.
wigglewyrms
wigglewyrms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next