karbraesforgottenrealms
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chapter 5: Through the Moon Pass Gorge

+2
Lezer
Karbrae
6 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Chapter 5: Through the Moon Pass Gorge - Page 3 Empty Re: Chapter 5: Through the Moon Pass Gorge

Post by Mad Monkey Hu Sen Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:13 am

Kardalis is keeping a quiet commentary a few yards behind them.
"Oh criticism and personal attack, nice"
"Heresy and challenge, classic combination"
"Cheerful jeer and death threat, feisty!"
Mad Monkey Hu Sen
Mad Monkey Hu Sen

Back to top Go down

Chapter 5: Through the Moon Pass Gorge - Page 3 Empty Re: Chapter 5: Through the Moon Pass Gorge

Post by wigglewyrms Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:26 am

Avis looks over her shoulder at Kardalis. "Enjoying yourself, I see," she says. "That was quick thinking, entangling the beast with a spell. You'll have to show me how you do that, some time."
wigglewyrms
wigglewyrms

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad Monkey Hu Sen Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:29 am

"Oh you noticed. I don't think teaching is something I can quite do...
I don't think I can teach you throw astral ectoplasm any easier than you can 'teach' me to shoot force out of my fingers"
Mad Monkey Hu Sen
Mad Monkey Hu Sen

Back to top Go down

Post by Drome Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:31 am

Glancing over to the two bickering girls Imarra tries to focus on Cyrus. "Oh, thank you." she says as she places the meat onto the tiger to accept the Necklace and inspects it for a moment. With a smile she shifts her attention to the slain beast in accordance to his words. Softly running the fingers of the hand that holds the dagger over the muscular shoulders of the creature Imarra can't help but agree "Yes, it is magnificent how swift and strong some creatures are. Shame it attacked you, ehm, us. Our group.".
Somewhat flushed and eager to change the subject Imarra cleans her blade and wraps the meat into a piece of cloth to carry. Putting the necklace on Imarra suggested "If you are looking for tracks I would like to help. I am likely not as good as you, but, well, I might learn a thing or two.".
Drome
Drome

Back to top Go down

Post by wigglewyrms Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:39 am

"I suppose you're right," Avis says to Kardalis. "I'm not a wizard, after all. Of course, that doesn't ease my curiosity. Where does your magic come from? You cast differently than Imarra or I do."
wigglewyrms
wigglewyrms

Back to top Go down

Post by Lezer Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:09 am

"Just the way it is," Rhenwald shrugs and stretches his mouth into a thin line. "It marked its new grounds, we intruded it and got attacked. Nature is a tough mistress."

He pauses for a moment, considering Imarra's words, and nods.
"Alright. I imagine you'd need that. We all started somewhere."

Cyrus then proceeds to collect the arrows stuck in the tiger's body, clears them hastily and puts three of them back into the quiver. Last one, the arrow that dealt the killing blow, he simply leaves there. Imarra can notice that shafts of his arrows are considerably thicker compared to those that Nerea carries, and with longer fletchings. Taking the bow into hand again, Rhenwald freezes for a short while, taking in the surroundings. He looks up, somewhere off into the distance, where the sky is seen between the trees, and after a moment starts walking after the rest of the group.

"No wind. Fir branches are looking up. Rain's coming", he says out loud. He gives the bracers stripped from the dead orc for his hound to smell and utters a couple of words to her. Soon, getting ahead of the rest, the ranger starts looking for any traces of orcs or any other potential threat that could pass this way not long ago...
Lezer
Lezer

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:39 am

The only fresh tracks the ranger finds are the lone tracks most likely belonging to the mangled orc scout they found beneath the bridge...
Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

https://karbraesrealms.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad Monkey Hu Sen Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:45 am

Kardalis briefly wonders at how to answer Avis' question. After a time, he responds, somewhat brief in his explanation. "I'm somewhat... unique on the surface. My powers come from... my mind."
Mad Monkey Hu Sen
Mad Monkey Hu Sen

Back to top Go down

Post by wigglewyrms Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:12 am

Avis furrows her brow. "Your mind? Then...some sort of psionic power?" She rubs her chin. "I see...if your ancestors are from the Underdark, I suppose that makes sense. Fascinating. As for me, I'm actually not entirely certain where my power comes from. Perhaps it's my celestial heritage, or perhaps one of my ancestors fucked a dragon. It can be surprisingly difficult to trace such things, for sorcerers."
wigglewyrms
wigglewyrms

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:28 am

Chapter 5: Through the Moon Pass Gorge - Page 3 Sylkar10

Amra Braegen: "I take it you hail from House Oblodra in Menzoberranzan then, Kardalis?" the moon elf inquires, clearly interested in learning more about the mysterious half-drow from Luskan, while simultaneously keeping her keen eyes on the road in front of them, and on the dense line of trees and bushes on either side of the road, doing her best to remain prepared for whatever beast or monster that might suddenly lunge at them from the gloomy Moon Pass woods...

Last edited by Karbrae on Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Drome Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:31 am

Following Cyrus and trying to trace where his eyes focused on, Imarra glanced around. She follows his stare off between the treetops into the sky and sees the familiar discolored clouds that are usually a sign for her to head for a roof or another solid cover.
Glancing over to Nerea's quiver and back to Cyrus's the wizard notices the difference in arrows. His were almost as thick as her bolts. They must be sturdier, but the weight must have a negative effect too, else every arrow would be that thick.
Drome
Drome

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad Monkey Hu Sen Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:31 am

Kardalis narrows his eyes slightly at Amra's probe. "You're familiar with the dark elves of that dread city?"
Mad Monkey Hu Sen
Mad Monkey Hu Sen

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:38 am

Amra Braegen: "Somewhat at least. I have dealings with many different souls in my role as a Kelemvorite priestess, and even before I became such I was a wizard and a scholar. I'm still quite the avid reader and you might even go as far as calling me an aspiring loremaster," the moon elf replies in a mirthful tone. "Did you grow up there?"
Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad Monkey Hu Sen Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:04 am

"Not so much, as you may know half-breeds are not so kindly looked upon in that society" He says spitefully "And neither are the ones who would stoop so low as to conceive a child with a surface creature"
Mad Monkey Hu Sen
Mad Monkey Hu Sen

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:13 am

Amra Braegen: "I reckoned as much... The drow surely don't hold us surface dwellers in a very favorable view, especially not when it comes to non-elves. Which makes me wonder exactly how you came to be, Saer Vasque. I'll have to bore deeper into your past, if you'll indulge me, once we get some time for leisure and lengthy conversation again... For now, we'd do wiser in minding the road and our surroundings. We are in dangerous territory after all..."
Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:24 am

Chapter 5: Through the Moon Pass Gorge - Page 3 Compas10

New Area Reached:
River Rauvin Towpath, Moon Pass Gorge

Not long after crossing the woodland bridge where they encountered the red tiger, the adventurers come across a statue of the Lunar Lady, an ancient elven guidepost marking the beginning of the Moon Pass Gorge in earnest... A small campfire burns next to the statue where a pale moon elf with long blue hair in dark grey clothes sits. He wears a black fur-lined cloak and is armed with multiple swords and an exquisitely crafted longbow. A blue-feathered hawk with orange-red eyes is perched on his right forearm and the man seems to be talking with it:

Chapter 5: Through the Moon Pass Gorge - Page 3 Myrddi10

Moon Elf: "Blasted orcs, Gweyr... If only I hadn't lost that damn key... Now I have to travel all the way to Jalanthar on foot..."

He gets up from his log by the campfire as soon as he notices the adventurers, but he doesn't draw his weapons...

Moon Elf: "Hey you there!  Could you help a fellow out? There's plenty of coin to be earned..."

Last edited by Karbrae on Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:54 am

Amra Braegen: "Be prepared for an ambush," the moon elf whispers to the others before cautiously approaching the man. "Alae stranger. How come you're camped out here in this dangerous wilderness all alone?

Last edited by Karbrae on Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:56 am

As the adventurers approach the moon elf, they notice the shimmering silver cloak brooch he wears, which resembles a harp within a crescent moon encircled by four stars. He watches the adventurers keenly with pale blue eyes, then brandishes a disarmingly friendly smile when you halt, lifting his arm slightly, so his blue-feathered hawk flies up and lands on his right shoulder, allowing him to lift a hand with two strectched fingers in a friendly greeting.

Myrdin Doedance: "Alae travelers. I am Myrdin Doedance. More pleased than you can possibly imagine to have the lot of you show up. There's been an incident by the southern Towing Station - a nightly assault by undead and Urgruem orcs... I was lucky enough to escape our orcish captors but I lost something important in the process..."

Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:04 am

Amra relaxes a bit when she recognizes the symbol of The Harpers on Myrdin's cloak brooch. She mirrors the two finger greeting.

Amra Braegen: "I am sorry to hear that. We were planning on stopping by the Towing Station for a bit of rest. I guess that is out of the question now... Pray tell, what was it you lost, good Saer?"
Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:12 am

The moon elf looks you over for a bit, as if gauging your trustworthiness, before answering:

Myrdin Doedance: "A portal key. It activates a portal in a circle of menhir just up the road, which connects this place with the house of Illuazorne Dragonspur in Jalanthar, my superior in the Moonstars. Since the matter I wish you to help me with requires utmost urgency, I might as well be perfectly honest up front, even though the organization I represent normally requires a high level of discretion. Illuazorne sent me here to investigate the recent rise in undead in the area, as it threatens the trade route between Sundabar and Everlund, and thus Harper interests in the region. She believes that a pair of Shadovar agents, people serving the Shade inhabitants of the ancient Netherese city of Thultanthar in the Plane of Shadow, might be behind the occurences and that the Zhentarim might somehow be involved as well... As I mentioned, I was sent here to investigate, and I arrived no more than three days ago and used the Argent Legion Watchtower by the southern Towing Station as my base of operations. Then yesternight, a few bells after midnight, the Towing Station was attacked, first by undead coming from the north, and then by Urgruem orcs coming from the south. The odds were overwhelming and we had no choice but to surrender... I managed to wiggle myself free from my binds on the way to their caverns, but in my frantic escape, I lost the portal key..."

Myrdin takes a deep breath before continuing:

Myrdin Doedance: "I've been sitting here from godswake to now, contemplating what to do, hoping someone would show up, and here you are! With your help, we stand a good chance at rescuing some of the other captives from the Towing Station and retrieving my portal key in the process. Now I don't know what your errand here in the Moon Pass might be, but you look like experienced adventurers, and with your help I'm sure we could rather easily manage to fight our way through the Urgruem Caverns and retrieve the captives and the portal key. Any and all loot we might find shall go to you, and on top of that, I shall ensure you a reward of 1000 moons, collectible from Mistress Dragonspur in Jalanthar."

Last edited by Karbrae on Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:28 pm

Amra Braegen: "That does sound like quite a predicament, and a lucrative proposition, Saer Doedance. Excuse me while I confer with my companions..."

Amra pulls the others aside, far enough away from Myrdin Doedance that the elven Moonstar shouldn't be able to hear their conversation...

Amra Braegen: "If we help him and succeed, we'll not only have earned ourselves a handsome reward, we'll also have a means of instantaneous travel between here and Jalanthar... What do you think? Shall we?"
Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lezer Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:08 pm

"Sounds good enough to me," the ranger replies. "Just gotta make sure we know what we're up against. Might be a roaming band of orcs, might be a vanguard of something bigger. I'll go ask if you don't mind."

He steps forward, addressing the elf, and nods in his direction.
"You the errand boy of Dragonspur's then? You sure got lucky out there. How many orcs guarding the captives at the Station? We stumbled upon a dead one south of here, assumed he was a stray scout. Just how heavy is their presence around here? Any notable chieftains?"
Lezer
Lezer

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:57 pm

Myrdin Doedance: "I am an agent of the Harpers, or of the Moonstars that is, an offshoot of the larger organization which has grown large enough in recent years to merit, if not independency, then a form of." The moon elf warrior takes a small break to let his affiliation sink in before continuing. The Harpers, and the Moonstars in extension, were after all regarded as heroes and liberators, if not downright saviors, by many people throughout northwestern Faerûn, from Sembia by the Sea of Fallen Stars all the way to the Sword Coast North. "A considerable orc force inhabits the immediate area. They are known as the Urgruem tribe and are a part of the larger Thousand Fists tribe ruled by the ogrillon Thaugrul Heartripper. The Urgruem chief is known as Orgashram the Cave Father and it is believed that he leads somewhere around forty orcish warriors residing in the Urgruem Caverns near the southern Towing Station, a network of caverns connected to the Underdark, allowing for the Urgruems to quickly evacuate whenever a sufficiently large force is sent to deal with them."
Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Drome Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:50 pm

"A portal could cut away sinificantly at out travel time. Having it would be helpeful of course, but I don't have experience with 'moon's, so I am not sure how difficult to judge a task worth that much." Imarra replies to Amra, keeping her voice low. Once Cyrus questions about the numbers on the orc's side, a cold sweat runs down Imarra's neck. Defeating 40 orcs is a tall order. The some orcs might be still injured from their raid and if they have a spellcaster some of his magic could still be spent, but still.
A thought about his retelling of the raid runs through her head and the wizard comes forth to the elf, asking "You said undead were coming from one side and the orcs from the other, do you recall how they reacted to each other? And were there any spellcasters on either side?".
Drome
Drome

Back to top Go down

Post by Karbrae Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:43 pm

Amra Braegen: "A moon is a shining golden crescent minted in Silverymoon. It is worth 2 regular gold pieces and is quite common here in the Silver Marches. That means the reward amounts to 2,000 gold pieces on top of what loot we find. And yes, the portal would allow us to move swiftly between here and Jalanthar, should we require additional support and supplies for completing our primary task."

Myrdin smiles warmly to the young Rashemi approaching him, and gives her inquiry some careful consideration before answering:

Myrdin Doedance: "The undead siege was lead by a spellcaster and four archers clad in black, and the undead were in large enough number to draw the Argent Legionnaires out of the Watchtower, me alongside them. When we were out in the open and had almost defeated the undead, the Urgruems attacked from the south before we could retreat back into the tower. The black-clad folk leading the undead assault had vanished some time before that during the initial melee... The Urgruems had their shaman, the Cave Mother Vuthkra Skulldrinker with them. When she summoned a huge demon centipede in the middle of the battlefield, the Legionnaires surrendered..."
Karbrae
Karbrae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next